Joe’s favorite Thanksgiving Recipes
I am Joe DeSantis, chief strategy officer at Gingrich 360. This stuffing recipe is relatively new. I found it online when we hosted Thanksgiving for the first time. Not only is it delicious, using the crock pot frees up precious oven space.
Joe’s Crock Pot Stuffing
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 stalks of celery diced
- 1 lb. sausage (Sage or Italian will both work but taste a little different)
- 1 tsp. salt
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp. fresh sage, minced
- 2 tsp. fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 large golden delicious apple cored and diced
- 3/4 cups dried cranberries
- 2 cups turkey or chicken stock
- 6 cups dry unseasoned bread cubes
- 4 tbsp. melted butter
Start by sauteing onion and celery in olive oil over medium heat, until they start to soften.
Add sausage, breaking it up as it cooks. Season it with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
Once sausage is cooked through, stir in fresh herbs and let the herbs absorb the fat. Then, stir in the diced apple and dried cranberries.
In a large slow cooker, combine breadcrumbs and sausage mixture.
Stir in the stock and melted butter.
Cook on low for about 4 hours.
Before serving, sprinkle with additional parsley.