This unfortunately comes as no surprise. You have the tragic, compounded problem of an insane deadline and terrorists with a variety of capacities to humiliate the American president and kill Americans.
The reports of a bombing and fighting around the Kabul airport should not come as a surprise to anyone. The Taliban is not a western-style professional military. It does not have rigid control over its allies. There are an amazing number of people in Afghanistan who hate America and Americans. Many of them because of the long war in which they saw friends, relatives, and family members killed by American systems and American equipment. They think that President Biden has surrendered. They think that the United States can be bullied. They think that the Western allies don’t have the capacity to stay if the United States leaves. We’re in for a dangerous time. What we’re seeing is just part of that process and Afghanistan has a long way to go before it shakes out and settles down. I think we should not assume that the Aug. 31 deadline is going to necessarily mean the end of anything.
Newt hosts monthly virtual events in which he discusses the news of the day and why it matters to you and your community. These Newt Live events are your opportunity to communicate directly with Newt. We hope you will join us next time and let Newt answer your questions and provide his insight on the issues that concern you most.
Newt’s Latest Audio:
- Newt Gingrich Audio Update: Omaha vs. Washington – Hope vs. Fear
- Newt Gingrich Audio Update: The Importance of the Race for Governor in Virginia
- Newt Gingrich Audio Update: What President Biden’s Approval Drop Means for the Future
- Newt Gingrich Audio Update: Higher Prices + More Government Spending + Tax Hikes = Bidenflation
- Newt Gingrich Audio Update: What is in Democrats’ $3 Trillion Plan for New Taxes?