Newt talks with Lisa Hershman about cost savings strategies at the Department of Defense.
With a national debt of $31 trillion dollars, we need to start making choices about how to pay the debt down. In order to do that, we have to recognize that a great deal of government has to be modernized. It’s not just about the money, but about what the money buys, how it’s spent, how much waste there is, and to what degree the bureaucracies are inherently inefficient. Every government agency has a challenge of modernization. And the agency with the most complex challenge is the Department of Defense. Newt’s guest is Lisa Hershman. She is the former Chief Management Officer for the U.S. Department of Defense from 2018 – 2021.
Guest: Lisa Hershman
Pentagon Recoups $6.5 Billion via Streamlining, Sale of Old Equipment – Reuters
How the Pentagon has Saved $4.7 Billion in the Past 2 Years – ABC News
Lisa Hershman: Pentagon CMO’s ‘Fourth Estate’ Review Finds $11B in Savings – Executive Mosaic Pentagon Shaves $6.5 Billion by Selling Obsolete Equipment, Overhauling Bureaucracy – Washington Post
Newt’s Latest Podcasts:
- Newt’s World – Episode 563: Cal Thomas on 50 Years in Journalism
- Newt’s World – Episode 562: Balance the Budget to Save America
- Newt’s World – Episode 561: Chairman Jason Smith on the Debt Ceiling
- Newt’s World – Episode 560: Border Crisis in Yuma, Arizona￼
- Newt’s World – Episode 559: Artificial Intelligence and Public Policy