by Newt Gingrich
The great upheaval over race in America began in the 1950s and accelerated dramatically in the 1960s.
In many ways, the bridges that started being built in that era are crashing down around us. Today, we have the Black Lives Matter movement (which has supported widespread destruction across America and grifted many millions of people for misspent donations). Anti-white racism fuels most of the current cultural left. Educational efforts such as the 1619 Project seek to rewrite American history so that slavery and the African American experience are the central themes. There is a growing contempt for police (especially white officers) and acceptance of crime. All of these make up part of the hardcore anti-Americanism emerging as the central value of the left.
While much of this radical activism and militant anti-Americanism extends beyond the struggle over race, the power of that conflict was the biggest driver of change in the 1960s. The struggle against segregation — both de jure (legal) and de facto — became powerful. In some cases, it was violent and created patterns of thought that became a significant part of the challenge to our constitutional system and the rule of law. Consider how much of today’s radicalism is organized around the struggle against repression and injustice.
Author’s Note: The complex patterns that have led to the greatest crisis of constitutional government and rule of law since the Civil War are far bigger, involve far more people, and are ultimately more dangerous to American freedom than the personal dishonesty and criminality of the Biden family. This “American Despotism” series in The American Spectator will provide a clear history of the weaponization of government, which has violated the Constitution and corrupted the rule of law. While each article will be complete and stand-alone, together they will combine to fully describe the patterns that now threaten to destroy the foundation of individual freedom — the hallmark of the American system.
Get Newt’s Latest Book:
More Commentary from Newt on American Despotism:
Newt’s Latest Articles:
- The Trump of Argentina Wins
- Inner Circle: Pentagon Audit Showing Missing Assets Signals Urgent Need for Reform
- Pentagon Audit Showing Missing Assets Signals Urgent Need for Reform
- Inner Circle: American Despotism – When the Democrat Establishment Collapsed
- American Despotism – When the Democrat Establishment Collapsed
Newt’s Latest Podcasts:
- Newt’s World – Episode 634: Gregg Jarrett on The Constitution of the United States
- Newt’s World – Episode 633: A Thanksgiving Tradition – The Presidential Turkey Pardon
- Newt’s World – Episode 632: Establishing Thanksgiving as a National Holiday
- Newt’s World – Episode 631: Bernard Cornwell on Uhtred’s Feast
- Newt’s World – Episode 630: The New Contract With America Coin: Honoring Newt Gingrich’s Legacy