by Newt Gingrich
Many of our current domestic disasters stem from a slate of legislation passed six decades ago.
President Lyndon Baines Johnson’s Great Society resulted in a disastrous centralization of power in the Washington bureaucracy. It then sought to impose its destructive values on Americans.
After two generations of federal supervision and interference, our school systems are so bad they are a threat to our national survival as we compete with Communist China and others. When five Baltimore high schools have zero students who are proficient in math, something is terribly wrong. The roots of the crisis start with LBJ’s welfare and education policies.
In 1960, about 9 percent of children were born outside of wedlock. Today that number is around 40 percent. The anti-family structure of the Great Society welfare programs – and the provisions that made it more profitable to be a single mother than to have a male in the household – still shape the patterns of our culture. The number of young males growing up without a male figure in their lives is a tribute to LBJ’s welfare bureaucracy.
Author’s Note: The complex patterns that have led to the greatest crisis of constitutional government and rule of law since the Civil War are far bigger, involve far more people, and are ultimately more dangerous to American freedom than the personal dishonesty and criminality of the Biden family. This “American Despotism” series in The American Spectator will provide a clear history of the weaponization of government, which has violated the Constitution and corrupted the rule of law. While each article will be complete and stand-alone, together they will combine to fully describe the patterns that now threaten to destroy the foundation of individual freedom — the hallmark of the American system.
Get Newt’s Latest Book:
More Commentary from Newt on American Despotism:
Newt’s Latest Articles:
- The Trump of Argentina Wins
- Inner Circle: Pentagon Audit Showing Missing Assets Signals Urgent Need for Reform
- Pentagon Audit Showing Missing Assets Signals Urgent Need for Reform
- Inner Circle: American Despotism – When the Democrat Establishment Collapsed
- American Despotism – When the Democrat Establishment Collapsed
Newt’s Latest Podcasts:
- Newt’s World – Episode 634: Gregg Jarrett on The Constitution of the United States
- Newt’s World – Episode 633: A Thanksgiving Tradition – The Presidential Turkey Pardon
- Newt’s World – Episode 632: Establishing Thanksgiving as a National Holiday
- Newt’s World – Episode 631: Bernard Cornwell on Uhtred’s Feast
- Newt’s World – Episode 630: The New Contract With America Coin: Honoring Newt Gingrich’s Legacy